Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Is This List Accurate?

I'm starting my new year off by trying my hand at blogging. Yes, I'm maybe one of the few that haven't tried this concept, but I felt it was time. It's time to capture my thoughts and discussions I have with friends about random topics. I want to kick the new year off with one of the things I love...MUSIC!

VH1 is known for having "All-Time Greats" listings when it comes to various genre of music. I'm sitting at home watching this list of great artist, and trying to keep an open mind about where these artist fall on the all-time greatest list. The most entertaining portion of the list is the comments left by random fans of music. When I was reading the comments I knew I couldn't participate simply because of the intellectual level. People are passionate about their music and artist whom they love, and its not easy to reason with these people. It's hard to have a intellectual debate when it comes to list of All-Time Greats with crazy music fans. You're liable to get called a name or every worst if you disagree. Some people felt suicide was in order of the person who posted a comment that disagreed with them. I mean, is that really going to make a difference?

I still wanted to make my points heard, so this is why I'm blogging...

At the very beginning of this list at #100 is Alicia Keys, and my open mind starts to slowly close. I love Alicia Keys, however has she done enough to be on the All-Time Greatest List? I'm okay for the most part when it comes to this list, except for a few artist. The elements, known as Earth, Wind, & Fire was listed at #83, which means that The Cure, Coldplay, Justin Timberlake, and Iggy and The Stooges were all better artist according to VH1 panel members. I like to believe there was a slight miscalculation at the panel's table when that decision was made.

The top 20 artist on the list is hard to argue against, however, some music fans would say Nirvana which is rated #14 is listed a little too low, when you have the lights of Bruce Springsteen #21, Elton John #28, Paul McCartney #36 listed  higher. I take nothing away from Nirvana, because they are responsible for the Seattle Grunge sound. Nirvana changed the game and introduced the world to a grunge. Is it enough to beat out The Boss?  Of course, to no one's surprise the Beatles was rated the #1 Greatest Artist Of All-Time. I challenge you to look at this list and tell me what you think. Did VH1 get it right? Are the Beatles the Greatest Of All-Time? Is Jay-Z a greater rap artist than Notorious B.I.G, Tupac, and Eminem? Is Queen greater than U2, AC/DC and Areosmith? Inquiring minds want to know you thoughts.

http://stereogum.com/495331/vh1-100-greatest-artists-of-all-time/list/

No comments:

Post a Comment